Shimano Ultegra is the “premium” groupset from the Japanese component giant, and sits just below the top-level Dura Ace groupset. The Shimano comes in both the mechanical and the electronic Di2 (Digital Integrated Intelligence) versions. Top-end carbon fiber road bicycles that are race-ready are usually fitted stock with Shimano Ultegra components, as they are one of the more expensive groupsets from Shimano, and come only on bikes with hefty price tags. But anyone buying a bike at that price point would usually be a seasoned cyclist looking for a pure performance machine, and the Shimano Ultegra never disappoints in that department !I decided to put the mechanical version of the Shimano Ultegra 6800 groupset that I got my hands on through a brutal, exhaustive test and see if it was worth its salt. The entire groupset came with the following components.
- Shimano Ultegra 11-Speed Front and Rear Dual Control brake and shift levers
- Shimano Ultegra 11-Speed 2X 50/34 front chainwheel crank
- Shimano Ultegra 2x11 Front Derailleur
- Shimano Ultegra 11- Speed Rear Derailleur
- Shimano Ultegra 11- Speed 11-32 cassette
- Shimano Ultegra Front and Rear brakes
- Shimano Ultegra Super Narrow SIL-TEC HG-X11 11-Speed Chain